Stamped Concrete & Stampable Overlays
If you love the look of natural stone or wood and are considering incorporating them into the interior or exterior flooring of your home and property, it’s time to take a look at stamped concrete and stampable overlays.
What Is Stamped Concrete?
Stamped concrete is simply concrete that is poured and texturized with stamps to achieve a natural stone, brick, or wood look. Stamped concrete can be great for pretty much any style you may be trying to achieve.
What Are Stampable Overlays?
Stampable overlays are cementitious surfaces that can be poured into place and texturized with concrete stamps. These are great for homeowners with worn down concrete surfaces in need of a fresh, new look. These overlays are available in a variety of colors but can also be custom-colored.
Why Choose These Options Over Natural Stone & Wood?
Stamped concrete and stampable overlays are oftentimes preferred to natural stone and wood for many reasons:
- Consistency. Nature makes beautiful things, to be sure, but consistency isn’t always a strong point. It can be tough to find natural stone and wood with grains and patterns that go well together, especially if you’re covering a large space. But with stamped concrete and stampable overlays, your flooring will be beautiful and consistent.
- Customizability. With the stencils, stamps, and coloring options available today, you can truly customize your surface for the most stunning and unique end result. Create flooring with the perfect color and texture for your design aesthetic. Color options include integral color, dry-shake color hardeners, surface-applied colors and stains, and dyes.
- Cost. Another perk of opting for stamped concrete or stampable overlays is that they’re cost-effective! Natural stone and wood can be expensive to purchase and install, while concrete is relatively affordable.
- Durability. Because stamped concrete and stampable overlays are cementitious, they offer incredible durability and longevity, regardless of where you live. If well cared for, you can expect your stamped concrete or concrete overlay to last for decades.
- Low Maintenance. Additionally, stamped concrete and stampable overlays require less maintenance than the materials they are designed to resemble. Why? They’re seamless! Without joints and seams, there’s nowhere for vegetation to sprout up.
- Authentic-Looking. Many homeowners worry about fake-looking alternatives to natural wood and stone, but with stamped concrete and stampable overlays, there’s no need to worry. Most stamp mats are created and formed using the true materials they are mimicking. In other words, your slate stone stamp mats will reveal authentic results because they were molded using real slate!
Some of the most popular textures and looks include:
- English Yorkstone
- Fractured Slate
- Ashler Stone
- Garden stone
Popular applications include:
- Pool Decks
- Interior Floors
Some Things To Consider
Like any other concrete surface, you’ll want to seal your stamped concrete or overlay to protect it and preserve the color. A quality sealer will make cleanup a breeze, prevent staining, add sheen, and prevent surface damage.
You may also want to have some grit added to the sealer to prevent slip when the surface is wet. It’s also recommended that you avoid salting (to de-ice) your stamped concrete, as this can lead to spalling, cracking, and other damage. Instead, try increasing traction with sand.
As far as interior surface maintenance goes, consider applying a floor wax regularly. This will add extra protection and help prevent abrasions. To boost the longevity of your stamped concrete or stampable overlay, you may also want to consider having a color hardener applied. This will increase the strength of the surface and help keep moisture, dirt, stains, and other debris from penetrating and damaging the stamped concrete or overlay. Read more about color hardeners here.
Want To Know More?
If you’d like to learn more about stamped concrete or our Floric Polytech or LifePaint stampable overlays, feel free to stop by and see us or call us at 210-617-7565. We look forward to speaking with you!
Get a Quote
Call us at (210) 617-7565 or fill out our contact form to get a quote for your project or materials.
You made the decision to have a new deck built. Whether you decided to use plywood or concrete, you love the way it looks and you can’t wait to start using it. What’s more relaxing on a summer evening than putting some meat on the grill and sitting out on your deck...read more
If you own a warehouse, storage shed, or an industry where you have large machinery that needs to be stored, you may be concerned about what type of flooring to install. You may be concerned that your flooring won’t be able to hold up to the heavy machinery or other...read more